Old September 23rd 05, 05:17 PM
Antonio Vernucci

Hi Tony....
=20
The "beat" frequency is generally the difference (IF) frequency. In a
receiver the "beat frequency oscillator (BFO) is used to generate a
"beat" frequency in the audio range for CW reception. My copy of the
manual clearly states that the OSCILLATOR frequency is HIGHER than
the signal frequency on ALL bands.
=20
73, Roger

Well, I used the wrong term - beat frequency- due to my limited command =
of the English language.

In summary, what I am trying to say for the sake of justifying what I =
measure here is that the sentence "the oscillator frequency is always =
higher than the signal frequency" should have been more precisely =
written "the frequency used to convert the incoming RF signal to IF is =
always higher than that of the RF signal". In this way the sentence =
would become compatible with using the second harmonic of the oscillator =
for converting the RF signal (on 20 meters the measured fundamental =
oscillator frequency is lower than the RF signal, but its second =
harmonic is anyway higher).

Anyway, I agree with you that using the second harmonic of the =
oscillator is rather odd, but it is a fact that, in addition to the =
frequency meter and the oscilloscope measurement results, the phantom =
carriers coming from the 9.5 MHz band are exactly where they should be =
if the second oscillator harmonic is used.

It looks like a kind of a mistery. I hope that an SX101A owner will take =
care to measure the oscillator frequency at his first convenient =
occasion.

73

Tony, I0JX

the SX-101A, the frequency that converts the RF signal into the IF =
signal is always higher than the RF signal. This is absoultely true, on =
the other hand the receiver dial shows the same sense on all bands (if, =
on a certain band, the frequency that converts the RF signal into the IF =
signal would be lower than the RF signal, then the relevant dial would =
go in the opposite direction).

Agreed.