Old September 24th 05, 12:47 PM
Jack O'Neill

Bob McConnell wrote:

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:23:44 -0400, "larry" wrote:

Greetings
I suppose the message should go under rec.radio.amateur. equipment but I
could not get any messages under that group...
Anyways.... It's a long story but I just received an htx-202 in the mail..
and need some information..
First.. what are the ratings of the battery..one is 7.5 volts.. At first I
thought they were both the same but upon noticing that one had two bolts on
the bottom and the other didn't and they they were about 1/4 different in
height I began wondering..
What are the two battery pack rating....
I have a commercial analyzer so rejuvenating them should not be too much
trouble...
Second.. are the two battery packs opennable?...
I found the manual on a zip file and will soon start to read it....
Third... there is no antenna..
Larry ve3fxq

I purchased my HTX-202 directly from a RS store in '92. The original
battery was six NiCad AA cells in series, so 7.2 V. The pack was held
together with several screws and has been disassembled, since the
cells have been dead for a couple of years. I have not gotten around
to rewiring it with new cells since I also have a couple of packs for
standard AA cells. It does have two contacts on the bottom, which were
wired directly to the jack on the side. Do not use that jack to power
the radio, only to charge a disconnected pack.

The DC jack on the top of the radio can handle up to 13.8 V DC, as
provided from an auto cigarette lighter jack. The maximum output power
is directly related to the input voltage, so you can only get full
power with an external supply.

The manual used to be available as a PDF file on the RS web site. I
haven't looked lately to see if it is still there.

The other battery pack sounds like an aftermarket, or possibly an ICOM
product. The HTX-202 was made by ICOM and is compatible with some of
their other products.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

I pretty sure the 202 / 404 radios were made by Maxon and not Icom. Even
though they use the same type packs.