Old September 24th 05, 08:43 PM
BFoelsch

"Antonio Vernucci" wrote in message
Hi Tony....

The "beat" frequency is generally the difference (IF) frequency. In a
receiver the "beat frequency oscillator (BFO) is used to generate a
"beat" frequency in the audio range for CW reception. My copy of the
manual clearly states that the OSCILLATOR frequency is HIGHER than
the signal frequency on ALL bands.

73, Roger

Well, I used the wrong term - beat frequency- due to my limited command of
the English language.

In summary, what I am trying to say for the sake of justifying what I
measure here is that the sentence "the oscillator frequency is always higher
than the signal frequency" should have been more precisely written "the
frequency used to convert the incoming RF signal to IF is always higher than
that of the RF signal". In this way the sentence would become compatible
with using the second harmonic of the oscillator for converting the RF
signal (on 20 meters the measured fundamental oscillator frequency is lower
than the RF signal, but its second harmonic is anyway higher).

Anyway, I agree with you that using the second harmonic of the oscillator is
rather odd

[SNIP]

Oh, I don't know. The Heath HR-10 ham receiver, while admittedly in a lesser
league, did this on 15 and 10 meters and admitted it. I would strongly
suspect that many of the lower end sets did this, but didn't fess-up.