Old September 25th 05, 12:01 AM
Ian Smith

"Keith and Phil at AussieSeek.com Political Messageboards"
wrote in message
oups.com...
Why is This ?

tsyia said

Scotland the Brave ?

A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent
country
in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be
assaulted than in America.
England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent
assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...786945,00.html

I completely agree that Scotland has a serious problem with
violence. However, it is not the most dangerous place to be. Most of
the assaults reported are amongst gangs; basically people who choose
to be in a certain place at a certain time. That is not to say there
aren't people who get mugged etc. However, the murder rate is much
lower than many other "western" nations. England has more than its
share of problems too.

Anyway, the UN report was based on a telephone poll conducted over
5 years ago! Not the best indicator of what is happening now, and
definately not the "big picture".
Scotland is a welcoming place for visitors. Few see problems with
violence. Many return to experience the hospitality. I have had many
drunken nights out in Glasgow (apparently the worst city) without
incident over the last couple of years.