Old September 25th 05, 05:09 PM
Tony Meloche

Daniel J. Morlan wrote:
Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience removing smoker's odors
from a used radio? I won an auction for a Radio Shack DX-398, and I had
originally sold mine to pay some bills. I was ecstatic to have won, and am
STILL ecstatic to have "my" radio back, and here it will STAY for all time.
Just it stinks like it was used for an ashtray. Was considering putting it
in an airtight container with baking soda... (No baking soda ON the console
or anything, mind you... Just sharing a large container with a cup of it
harmlessly to the side.)

Regards,

Daniel

The "sealed in a bag with baking soda" idea can't hurt, and may
indeed help - I would think it would take several days. Before you do
that, mix up a solution of ammonia and warm water. Wring the cloth out
*thoroughly*, and wipe down the radio as well as you can - this will not
hurt it. You may even want to do it twice. If the water turns a faint
yellowish color, you are getting rid of most of the source of smell
right there. Follow that with a fresh solution of baking soda in
water. Remember to always wring the washcloth out very thoroughly.
Then, if you wish, follow up with the baking-soda-in-a-bag idea. The
combination should greatly diminish - if not eliminate completely - the
smell. And as someone else wrote, just plain "time" will help, too.

Tony