Old September 26th 05, 12:47 AM
BDK

In article .com,
says...
Just let it sit there for a day or two. The odor will gradually
disappear on its own.

Steve

I have had radios that reeked for YEARS, not days. My R71A still stinks
badly after nearly a complete disassembly and cleaning. I still can't
take being near it for too long, once it warms up, it's bad..

I had a mint Yaesu FRG-7700 that was so loaded with smoke residue that
it was ORANGE. I just thought it was the odd lighting at the hamfest
that made it look like that. I took it all apart and ended up washing
the case in the dishwasher (came out great, and grey again) and the
front panel in a pan with dishwashing soap in it. After soaking for an
hour, it looked like I had dunked it in coffee. I changed the water and
did it again, and it still looked like coffee. The third time, it didn't
change much, and I took a washcloth and wiped everything off and dunked
it again, and it turned brown instantly again. The washcloth looked like
I had wiped orange paint off something. After hours, it was finally
clean..

After all that, it still stunk of cigarettes, slightly as soon as it was
turned on.

Smoking is something I'll never understand..

BDK