Old September 27th 05, 01:29 AM
Dave Platt

In article . net,
chuck wrote:

Yes, but if the long wire is on the order of a half-wavelength, the
ground becomes a lot less critical.

It becomes less critical in terms of the need to provide the "other
half" of the radiator.

However, if the long wire is roughly a half-wavelength long, its
feedpoint impedance is going to be rather high... possibly higher than
you can match with a typical "unbalanced" tuner intended for matching
coax-fed antennas.

And, if you do match it, you'll find a relatively high RF voltage
present on the portion of the wire inside the shack. This can lead to
"RF in the shack" problems, and you may need a really good RF ground
for the tuner and rig just to keep RF voltages on the equipment
chassis from being a problem.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO