Old September 8th 04, 08:34 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Pete & Renee Davis wrote:
Can anyone tell me when the civil defense frequencies started being
marked on radio AM dials, and when the markings were discontinued? I
have come across several radio that have them. One was a Motorola add-on
car tube radio (in a stylish shade of turquoise) but no date on the
paperwork, another was a Zenith AM/FM whose paper labels had worn off,
and the other is Bendix Navigator 420 that was listed in catalogs for
1965 (Thanks Walt!).

They were not really civil defense frequencies, they were part of the CONELRAD
system. Do a web search on CONELRAD.

As far as I know, the CONELRAD system stuck around until the beginning of EBS.
--scott