Old September 9th 04, 03:58 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
wrote:
Just curious -- what's the ststus of EBS? I don't recall
hearing any of their tests in quite some time. IIRC, about three to
five years back, there was a dustup over an alert that was sent out as
if live -- no "This is a drill" wrapper was sent with it. When it got
to the radio stations, apparently almost all the GMs (or whoever had
the authority) said, "Naah, this is bogus -- we're not putting this on
the air."

EBS is gone and has been replaced with the EAS system, which is supposedly
more suited to local disaster events and less for national alerts. It uses
FSK digital data keys rather than the single tone pair for keying. Frankly
it hasn't shown itself to be any real improvement if you ask me.
--scott