Old July 17th 03, 08:13 AM
Richard Harrison

Dr. Slick wrote:
"I don`t have that book."

I don`t have Kraus either and I miss it.

Space has a magnetic permeability and a dielectric constant. The square
root of their ratio is the characteristic resistance of space. It is
376.7 ohms = 120 pi ohms.

The reciprocal of the square root of the product of the permeability and
dielectric consrtant of space is the velocity of EM radiation
propagation. It is 300 million m/sec.

The above is courtesy of King, Mimno, and Wing, in "Transmission Lines,
Antennas, and Wave Guides", on page 73.

The authors must have considered the information important as they
repeated it on page 117. They followed the repetition with a discussion
of the radiation resistance and input resistance of an antenna. They
note that radiation resistance can`t be measured between two terminals
in a circuit. The I squared R of the antenna power does not conveniently
compute as might be expected with circuit terminals, as current is a
variable along an antenna in most cases.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI