Old September 10th 04, 12:53 PM
G.Beat

"Captain Crane" wrote in message
Im thinking about buying a Pyramid PS 46KX 35 amp power supply... How
good is this power supply. What would you recommend for a 35 amp 12v
power supply ???

Check out the review from actual owners at http://www.eham.net
I observed that Pyramid cut costs (e.g. smaller heat sinks, marginal
component values) a few years ago on some models with the expected decrease
in overall product quality.
Plus some really bad soldering (e.g. MFJ also soldering problems in their
equipment from time to time) with some models.

For a 35 amp power supply (normal 50/50 usage), I recommend the Astron 35A
or 35M (I refer the metered version. Preferred choice by the commercial
(business band) radio market - easy to repair and components (and heat sink)
generally rated for stated usage.

Astron readily available on surplus market (e.g. eBay and flea markets). IF
you find a broken one being given away - pick it up fast ! Very easy to
repair (entire web site for troubleshooting and repair for the novice
technician or amateur radio operator)
http://www.kbt-dc-supplies.com/

w9gb