Old September 11th 04, 06:37 AM
Chuck Reti

In article ,
Pete & Renee Davis wrote:

Can anyone tell me when the civil defense frequencies started being
marked on radio AM dials, and when the markings were discontinued? I
have come across several radio that have them. One was a Motorola add-on
car tube radio (in a stylish shade of turquoise) but no date on the
paperwork, another was a Zenith AM/FM whose paper labels had worn off,
and the other is Bendix Navigator 420 that was listed in catalogs for
1965 (Thanks Walt!).

My Cold War history is a bit sketchy. Could this have come about after
the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962? I just remember the grown ups being
really worried then, but I probably wasn't even aware of radio at the
time. I'm wondering if anyone on the list can shed some light on these
markings, and whether they might be useful in dating my mystery Zenith.

Pete Davis

Check out http://www.conelrad.com/

Chuck Reti
Detroit MI