Old October 1st 05, 08:33 PM
Reg Edwards

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote

Dear Reg (G4FGQ):

I note with interest that your note was written in the early

afternoon.

My Dear J. Mc Laughlin,

Thank you for your interest in my early afternoon state of health. It
is now 19.15 hours and I have just started on a bottle of Sierra
Valley, Californian, Ruby Cabernet.

The subject of my communication is: small (much smaller than a
wavelength) - non-resonant (input impedance almost entirely

inductive if one
looks into a single opening in the loop) - horizontal - loop antenna

(no
substances with significant magnetic properties are in the vicinity

of the
loop antenna) - used to receive incident EM waves (which have both E

and H
components). SNRHL receiving antennas

I do not know the definition of a "magloop." Apparently, such a

beastie
comprises a resonant loop antenna.

=======================================
"Magloop" describes a small, single-turn, thick conductor, usually
made from copper water pipe, circular, hexagonal or square in shape,
loop. The two ends of the loop are connected together via a variable
capacitor. The capacitor tunes the inductance of the loop to a
resonant frequency at which everything happens.

The term "magnetic" arises because the near-field of a transmitting
loop is mainly magnetic as distinct from the electric field. On
receive it is more sensitive the magnetic field than the electric
field.
=======================================

No knowledgeable person would disagree that a single tuned

network with
a Q of 1000 is "narrow."

My interest in SNRHL receiving antennas comes from an interest

in
practical HF receiving antennas that are resistive to types of noise

that
appear only to be present at isolated, open, rural,

otherwise-low-noise
sites. The noise involved does not occur in urban areas or even

rural sites
with many trees.

=====================================
The noise in rural, open, oceanic areas is just the same sort as in
built-up, residential, city and industrial areas. It is all random but
there is just a lot less of it.

An antenna of any sort is just as sensitive to noise as it is to
signals provided both noise and signals are coming from the same
direction and elevation.
======================================

Consider some of the excellent wine from Michigan this evening.

This
state, with a coastline almost the same length as that of the island

of
Great Britain, produces some excellent products for your enjoyment.

=======================================
Everybody has heard of the State of Michigan with its capital city of
Detroit. I have always thought of it as an industrial state similar to
my own area of the city of Birmingham and the surrounding Black
Country of England. It is the manufacuring areas which produce the
REAL wealth of this World of ours. Not forgetting the farmers.

Never having had the opportunity to visit Michigan it has not occurred
to me that the land could also grow grapes and produce wine.
(Actually, we do produce respectable wine here in cool-climate
industrial England. But not much of it.)

It is now 20.00 hrs and too late to go shopping at my local
super-market. Nevertherless, at my next visit I shall keep my eyes
open for "Michigan" on the wine bottle labels.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.