Old September 15th 03, 01:34 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:31:08 -0700, "Ed Price"
wrote:
The little network, along with the section of coax line inside the main
housing, forms a directional coupler. A Bird 43 (or similar, but the 43's
are readily available, used, on eBay) is about the cheapest way to get
answers about the design and performance of your antenna and transmitter
system.

And if you think a Bird 43 is big money, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Ed
WB6WSN

Hi Ed,

I am quite familiar with the Bird 43. A useful instrument on the
bench, more appropriate in the field. The URM-120 by Sierra is far
more robust and always keeps its calibration. I have used
instrumentation that is far more expensive and I have used
instrumentation that was far cheaper. I have calibrated them all.

For the amateur, a cheap Radio Shack CB SWR meter is more than
adequate, and if it is not perceived to be, is easily tailored to fill
that shortfall of perception. It shouldn't cost anyone more than $20
(mostly for the meter) to build a very good one. There are scads of
designs available, and all revolve around the same assembly of simple
components I described for Art. If any trick is involved, it is close
attention to dimension and wavelength.

Choice in SWR meters is almost akin to preference in tie color, a
personal matter.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC