Old October 2nd 05, 06:27 AM
Lee

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Hello Lee,

Thanks for letting me know that by giving your magloop half-a-chance
it performs according to expectations.

You have also demonstrated that the G5RV is not so hot as it is made
out to be by salesmen and they who have never tried anything else.

snip

Well, for me Reg, the halfsize G5RV was the only multi band antenna that i
could squeeze into my garden...and the bandwidth of the loading coils for 80
is below my expectations..... that`s apart from the fact the loading coils
knocked out 40...ho-hum time for a better antenna that isn`t an
eyesore...and works better as a bonus.....
On VHF, beams and quadloops are no problem for 6m even, but HF is a whole
new ballgame....had i the space, i would continue with quadloops for
HF....but!!!......(shakes head).

Are you using the small internal coupling loop, about 1/5 diameter of
main loop, to match to a 50-ohm feedline? This is the best and most
simple way to go,

No. i`m using a `gamma` match, if you can call it that....the matching loop
comes next.
Wonder if a coaxial gamma match would work as i`m a staunch
believer....(could put that principle to use for the capacitor tuning
instead of a butterfly variable......)
Can`t get on with other types of loading, too fiddly!.

Regards....

Lee...G6ZSG.......

A different ratio small loop diameter is needed for other feedline
impedances. The circuit behaves as if the turns ratio on a
transformer is being changed.

Let us know how your experiments proceed.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.