Old October 2nd 05, 05:14 PM
Brian Kelly

Default Need Suggestions for a Relay Source

I'm looking for a source for small inexpensive 12VDC relays which are
usable for cold-switching ~200W of RF at frequencies up to 30 Mhz. The
relays would be used to remotely select several single-band antenna
tuners and several end-fed vertical wire antennas strung up into some
tall trees. The "tuners" would be link-coupled tapped parallel tank
ciruits, one tuner per band.

There would be two relays needed per band, one to switch the 50 ohm
coax from the shack to the specific tuner and the other at the output
end of the tuner to select the particular wire. At the input ends of
the tuners the RF voltage would be around 200V @ 2 amps. At the output
ends of the tuners (depending on the feedpoint impedance) the RF
voltage could go into the 2kV range at very low currents. So basically
I need some sort of relays which can handle 2kV of HF RF at 2 amps.
Single pole NO non-latching reed switches would do the job.

I know I can use surplus vacuum relays but at $35-40 a pop that ain't
gonna happen.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

w3rv