Old October 2nd 05, 09:01 PM
Asimov

"Dave VanHorn" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Oct 05 09:15:26)
--- on the heady topic of "Vertical colinear"

DV From: "Dave VanHorn"
DV Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:217909

DV I'm a bit confused over the construction of a vertical colinear.

DV The docs I've seen all are more or less the same, alternating
DV half-wave sections of coax or hardline.
DV The thing that's bending my head, is that there's a velocity factor
DV inside the coax, that presumably isn't there on the outside.

DV So, while a given section is a half wave on the outside, it's probably
DV more like 3/4 wave inside.
DV My understanding is that we are trying to get to a series of dipoles
DV all fed in phase, and yet this seems like it's not accomplishing that.

DV What am I missing?

The wave energy travels alternately on the outside of the center
conductor and then on the inside of the braid or shielding. So both
see the same velocity factor. Does that make sense?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... What if there were no hypothetical situations?