Old October 3rd 05, 04:56 PM
Ari Silversteinn

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:26:11 -0500, Crazy George wrote:

Well, Ari, I can tell you this. People used to mock the fact that I had 7
antennas on my 1957 station wagon almost 50 years ago, but these days, the
airwaves are so bereft of anything worth listening to, I never turn on a
radio in the car. So, I will never hear your message no matter what you
try.

Not even in an obvious disaster situation?

Now, having said that, here is how the system design needs to be:
Since the frequency to which a target radio is tuned is an unknown, and
since the input contains a good trap for the IF frequency, your transmitter
needs to radiate about 2 KW ERP at each of three frequencies in the
broadcast band separated by 262 kHz and 455 kHz. This will mix in the front
end and produce a useful IF. Same technique on FM using two frequencies
10.7 MHz apart.

Got it, thanks for the specs.

Good luck on the AM. With expected antenna efficiencies at that wavelength
of about 3%, you are going to need over 100 kW of RF and antenna components
with equivalent power ratings.

Yep, at least, maybe more but power availability off the emergency vehicle
is supposed to be a non-issue, we will see.

Let us know how it works out. The place I used to work no bid this about 20
years ago due to these problems, and that was not the first time this crazy
idea surfaced.

Do you think it is crazy from the standpoint of legal or technical. The
system itself would appear to be much needed.
--
Drop the alphabet for email