Old October 3rd 05, 05:48 PM
an_old_friend

Jim Hampton wrote:
What you do not seem to realize is that the folks that actually learned
something (before the multiple guess answers came out), just might have a
few skills.

These are usually folks that have a genuine interest in how things work, not
how to turn a knob or push a button or keys. This isn't to say that folks
that simply wish to talk are not welcome; they certainly are.

Although I do not possess a college degree, I am a certified electronics
technician. I have repaired two-way radios (business and trunking radios).
I have done a lot of electrical control and power wiring. I have not worked
in high voltage, but have done a fair amount of 277/480 3 phase work. I've
climbed atop silos and repaired bag houses. Welded, soldered, cut, run
milling machines, surface grinders, lathes, and more. If a saws-all can't
do the job readily, the oxy-acetylene tourch will handle it well for me
(hmmmm ... wonder how that would solder pl-259s? LOL). Done EMC compliance
studies along with UL compliance. Come to think of it, ozone compliance.
Can you spell exponential decay? Come to think of it, I've programmed
slc-500s, Texas Instruments PLCs, Modicon PLCs, and more (including data
highways and ethernet). Even written a program to generate ladders from
simply inputting I/O assignments and letting the program know what I want to
have happen. Under 15 minutes to properly program 3 cells. Another 5
minutes to debug because someone wired a switch backwards (normally closed
rather than normally open).

And a whole lot more, I bet.

The trouble is that skills aren't as valued as they once were.
Particularly if they aren't "state of the art", whatever that means.

indeed Nobody values skill with the Buggy whip or it radio counterpart