Old October 8th 05, 04:58 AM
Crazy George

Well, you know, it depends......

Optimally, one would like to have separate, independent antennas for each
channel, the way we constructed the first CATV head ends up in the hills of
Pennsylvania in the 1950s. But, then Scientific Atlanta and others
designed LPD antennas which covered multiple channels coming from one
general direction, and since tower space and loading was always a concern
(don't forget multiple runs of low loss coax enter that equation also),
multiple antennas gave way to fewer antennas and lots of signal processing
down at the base of the tower. Some sites had racks and racks of gear.

If the requirement is to provide signals to only one TV, a switch could be a
good choice. On the other hand, if the design is for a whole house, or
apartment complex or commercial building signal distribution system, then it
gets progressively more complicated. Since Svend didn't specify, one had to
conclude that he had already considered and rejected the easy solutions.
--
Crazy George

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
With all those channels mixed together, it would be best to simply use
an A/B switch to switch between the two antennas.
Ian.

In message , SH writes
Thanks for both you answers its nice to now i stil remember some theory
eventhough its 10 years since i read some UHF theory (Ended up being a
programmer :-))))

I think ill go for the notch version. I have made a lot of them and they

are
easy to build but I've noticed that it seams that 3 notches (adjusted to

3
diff freq.) is some kind of limit. When i put in no. 4 it seams that the
overall loss increases.
Do I remember correctly when i state that 2 nothes on the same freq.

should
be a 1/4 wave apart???

Best regards

Svend Holby

"Crazy George" wrote in message
Ben Jackson has some good points. You need not worry about audio,
usually,
as the FM capture takes care of the weaker signal. So, filtering the
video
carrier and near sidebands is all that is necessary.

However, in answer to your question, the way you connect bandpass

filters
in
parallel is with power dividers, amplifiers, and power dividers again,
backwards as summers. Otherwise, controlling the out of band input and
output impedances of several in parallel is a monumental, but solvable
task.
Spice, anyone?

--
Crazy George
"SH" wrote in message
Hi

I have come up with one of those crazy DYI ideas which I would like

try
to implement but one thing still remains.

I have two UHF (TV) arial pointing in different directions and would

like
connect them together through BP filters to minimize noise.
BP = Bandpass
Antenna 1: UHF channel (Europe) BP 1 ch 22-37, BP 2 ch40 -44, BP 3 ch
49 -
68/ or high pass
Antenna 2: UHF channel (Europe) BP 1 ch 21 / or low pass, BP 2

ch38 -39,
BP
3 ch 47

I have found formulas to design each section of BF but how to you

connect
several BP filters in parallel??? I have investigated some old TV

filter
and
they have a coil (12 WDG) in and out of each BP section but is that

the
way
to do it and how does it influence the design of each BP.

The only approach that I can find is to split the signal into three (-
6dB )
then feed each into a BP filter and the Combine them again (-6dB).

This
will
result in each BP section seeing 75 Ohms as they shouland they would

not
interfere with eachother. Ofcouse i would need a 20 dB amplifier to

fix
the
loss.

But is there a better way.