Old September 15th 03, 08:58 PM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

"William E. Sabin" sabinw@mwci-news wrote in message ...
artie wrote:

The Bird is a wonderful, stable design that's simple and well
understood. You can get fancier (from Bird, among others), you can get
more accurate (my old HP), but it's hard to get simpler.

I use a homebrew directional coupler (see QEX for
March 1995) for everyday use, and a brand new,
well preserved (in a closet) Bird 43 as a
reference instrument. At full scale it is specifed
as accurate within +/- 0.5 db, which is plenty
good enough for me.

Bill W0IYH

Why would a ham operator have a need for such accuracy ?
Isn't consistency enough ? For ensurance of not exceeding
the power output for those who want to equal the max then
a scope would be the way to go. For those that build then
there is a need for accuracy and bragging rights are fully
earned. Seems like this falls into the same catagory of
'I have six elements where you have only five'
Art