Old October 10th 05, 04:37 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote

I'm not talking about overall economics, Hans. I'm talking about the US
importing a large percentage of its oil needs.

We import a large percentage of a lot of stuff, both raw material and finished
goods. Coffee. Rubber. Titanium. Tin. Wolfram. Textiles. Clothing. And,
yes, even oil.

We also export to other countries a large percentage of their needs. Food
(wheat/soy/corn/meat/dairy products). Lumber. Technology. Education.
Medicine.

If you had to choose between fuel for some Escalade luvvin momma, and the fuel
for say our military to train with, who would ya choose?

I could ask a corresponding patronizing question about any of the other goods I
mentioned.

The point is that individuals here don't make that choice about oil any more
than a citizen of Japan makes that choice about lumber when they want to build a
new home. If the cost of oil goes too high, then Escalades will fall from favor
and be replaced by and Vegas and Pintos. If the price of lumber gets too high,
Japanese homes will be built from compressed rice straw or some other material.

Has nothing to do with patriotism. Has to do with simple economics.

Look at the big picture.

I do.

73, de Hans, K0HB