Old October 3rd 04, 12:36 AM
N2EY

In article ain, swamprun
writes:

I have the broadcast band ARC-5 transmitter in my collection
The band is not quite broadcast band though, it is 0.8 to 1.3 MC.

It took three of them to cover the BC band

IIRC:

The T-17 covered 1.3 to 2.1 Mc.
The T-16 covered 0.8 to 1.3 Mc.
The T-15 covered 0.5 to 0.8 Mc.

My info says they were only made by ARC and only made for the Navy.

Look up the completed price for a recently-sold BC-442 on the bay. Over $440 -
but it's new-in-the-box.

---

What we're really seeing, up-close, is the transition of something familiar
from the category of "practical/functional device" to the category of
"antique/collectible item". It's not limited to ARC-5s - lots of old radios are
going through the same transition.

Some years back, a mint SX-88 went for over $6000. Part of the driving force
was that it was mint, and part that it was one of the first really nice SX-88s
to appear on the bay. And the '88 was not made in quantity, and cost about $700
new in 1954.

Few weeks later, another '88 appeared. Almost as nice - but it went for a lot
less (less than $3000).

But the best one:

Some time after the '88, an unbuilt Heathkit AT-1 appeared. It was one of the
last AT-1s made - 1956 date code. Still in the original sealed box with
original label.

Now the AT-1 wasn't rare, and it only cost $29.95 new. Of course an unbuilt one
*is* rare, but if you built it, the value would tumble.

Kit went for $5100. Not a typo - five thousand one hundred US dollars.

73 de Jim, N2EY