Old October 14th 05, 08:36 PM
Steve Nosko

"Asimov" wrote in message
"Rick Frazier" bravely wrote to "All" (14 Oct 05 07:08:21)
--- on the heady topic of "High Voltage Caps for Plate Supply ??"

RF From: Rick Frazier
RF [snip]
RF e never ran electrolytics at anywhere near their rated
RF voltage. Permissible margins for low voltage DC circuits were 50% or
RF more margin. Typical rule of thumb was 100% margin (a 10 volt cap
RF running on nominal 5 volt line, etc.).

Rick, it is okay to run electro's at about 80% of their voltage spec.
Electro's are formed at up to 140% of their final spec and can thus
tolerate turn on surges. ...

Isn't using an electro at 50% of spec rather conserative? ...
A*s*i*m*o*v

In Motorola, our practice on lytics ( & resistors) was 50% of rated Voltage
(power), but that was in the 12 v. area. I don't know where this came from,
but they had extensive accelerated test capability and field data said our
stuff is known to keep on ticking...

I seem to recall that in tube days you were much closer and 80% seems
reasonable.

73, Steve, K9DCI