Old October 15th 05, 08:34 AM

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:17:50 -0700 (PDT), "Phil Kane"
wrote:

The only problem that I've had with the local UPS delivery here is
that he leaves the package and rings the bell, and then it's a race
to see if I can open the door before I see The Big Brown Truck drive
off.

That was decided years ago. Numerous friends who work for UPS
tell me that, maybe ten or fifteen years ago, the beancounters figured
the extra deliveries that could be made instead of waiting for sigs
would easily cover the cost of stolen-off-the-doorstep shipments.

A friend told one of these people that a $600 antenna had been
left in plain sight under his exterior stairway and it might have been
nice to claim it wasn't delivered so he could have a spare for his
summer home.

But they have this wacko deal where it's at the driver's
discretion as to whether or not to require an adult's presence and
sig. I once had some computer books shipped from Amazon. I came home
to a yellow sticky saying the package had to be delivered to and
signed for by an adult. I called about it. No reason was given, but I
was told I could not just sign the yellow sticky and leave it on the
door.

Since the UPSsholes only work when I am at work, I had them
divert the shipment to work, hoping it wasn't some porn mis-shipped to
me for the amusement of the mailroom staff.

It was just my Amazon order, so I called UPS to ask what the
hell was up. They said the driver could make the non-overridable
judgement to require adult presence and sig. The nest they could guess
was that there might have been thefts of packages in my neighborhood,
so he decided to lay on the requirement.