Old September 16th 03, 02:11 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:45:52 -0700, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

Perhaps poor choice of words

Bird meters and monimatch type meters use the capacitive coupling of the
coupled line to couple voltage and magnetic coupling to the coupled line
to couple current. THEN the diode sees the vector sum of the two
couplings.

The cheaper ones - like Radio Shack had just diodes to detect peak V or I
and -- I always called em diode detector types -- what wud u call em

Any way I am sure you know the difference

Hi OM,

Not when you incorrectly describe them. They all use two diodes, or
in the case of the Bird, the single diode is used twice, once in each
direction. There is every chance someone tried to reduce the bottom
line (boost profits) by using one diode to read both - give us an
example.

Peak, Average, PEP, call it what you will is only a matter of meter
scaling (and in the case of SWR no different at all) and what the Time
Constant is with any particular resistor-capacitor pair used as the
meter load.

What is really sadistic, are digital numeric displays when SWR/Power
is swinging. Reading 8.88 because the numbers' segments blur is
pitiful in the extreme.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC