Old October 12th 04, 09:49 PM
OCEANRADIO

Default Fixing a computer power supply

Sorry this is so far from boatanchors, but who else could answer?
I acquired a Sony VAIO P4 computer from my usual source and it didn't light up
at all. Luckily, I found two burned up resistors in the power supply. I
substituted a spare power supply and the computer works fine, but the power
supply is outboard so I need to fix the original. So here's the problem: the
two little resistors R4 and R5 (1/2W) are marked brown, black, silver, gold.
The translates to me as .1 ohm. Is that possible?
The two were in parallel (electrically and physically) and it looked as if
there was an arc between them that burned them both up. There shouldn't have
been any voltage between them, given that they were in electrical parallel, and
they shouldn't have overheated, I wouldn't think, with such low resistance.
Since I was raised on 6L6s and 807s, a .1 ohm resistor is a mystery to me. Can
anyone tell me if these really are .1 ohm resistors?
If I ask a computer guy (of which there are many) the answer would be: buy a
new computer. That's why I'm posting the question here.
Tnx,
John
K4XC