Old October 11th 05, 11:25 AM
Peter Newman

Default am/narrow-fm/wide-fm/lsb/usb what else?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:56:48 -0400, Dave Holford
wrote:

As I stated in my first posting, a Winradio.

Yes, the WinRadio G303 and G313 appear to be the only commercially
available eceivers with genuine ISB and DSB modes. The DSB is actually
so good that you can receive standard AM with it and can hardly hear
any difference (i.e. the digital BFO inserts the carrier spot on
frequency, like with synchronous AM mode).

I did an interesting experiment with my G303e/PD by using stereo
speakers in DSB mode on an AM broadcast station, and you can actually
hear a phase difference variation between the two sidebands. This
causes an amazing "floating in space" audio sensation.

Peter

I have the same setup and also found that DSB on AM fascinating.

I have used ISB to set the master oscillator on frequency. Tuned to WWV,
ideally on 20 MHz, one can hear the beat between the two sidebands and
adjust the frequency until the beat is zero, or at least less than 1 Hz,
then this figure is used to offset the oscillator.

This is a very good method. In fact I used CW for this (old habits die
hard), but I agree it is much easier with ISB.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the stability of the receiver. From a
cold start through to several hours of operation the drift is substantially
less than 10 Hz.

I found that too. The G303e manufacturer's specs says 10ppm frequency
stability, but I have found it to be much better than specified, at
least within my home temperature range.

That, along with the spectrum analysis capability and the almost infinitely
adjustable filters makes it a most interesting tool/toy.

Agreed. It is also fun to use. This radio brought me back to the
hobby, after a few years of absence.

Peter