Old September 29th 05, 10:05 PM
D Peter Maus

Default Hammarlund HQ-170

SR wrote:
Hi dxAce: I have the Icom R75, it covers a lot of bands. The
Hammarlund 170 does not have many of the bands I like to listen to, such
as 41m & 49m. And it does not have the part in the rear for the PL259.

I will look around for a Hammarlund 180. If it carries 10m-160m. Also
I notice that the Hammarlund 180 has an openning hatch on the top. This
is cool.

I wonder if these radio were used in the military?

73 SR!

Hammarlund, like Hallicrafters, Stromberg-Carlson, Motorola and
countless others made radios for the military. And, often, the military
versions were similar to the civilian versions.

I have a Hammarlund BC-794 SuperPro. It's Signal Corps issue. A
military version of SP-200.

Been using it since my grandfather dropped it on me in the early
60's. Been recapped twice, retubed often and at 100 lbs (with power
supply) I've used it to keep the boat from blowing away in a tornado.

It's still one of the finest radios in my stable, and like all real
radios, keeps me warm on winter nights.

Oscar Hammarlund's history, if you're into history at all, is both
wide and deep, and like Bill Halligan, his roots extended deep into the
fabric of Chicago.

Hammarlund's radios were never cheap. Halligan's top of the lines
were 'must buy' by comparison. The last SP-600 incarnations kissed the
neck of $1000. When $1000 could get you into a new VW. The Hammarlund
weighed a little less than the car. But Hammarlund's radios were
exceptionally well built, easily serviced (though not simple radios) and
stellar performers.

Like most radios of their era, they'll work on a crooked wire and a
good intention. But require a well designed and executed antenna to play
at the limits of credibility.

They were also known for their excellent audio character, with many
of the SuperPro line equipped to double as phonograph amplifiers during
RF downtime.

Nice find, your HQ-170.

dxAce wrote:

SR wrote:

Hi dxAce, how many different models did the Hammarlund came in? And
which was the lastest or best model?

Good question. Hammarlund made many different models over the years.
Which one is the
best? That's something I guess is left up to the individual user.

The model you have, the HQ-170 is an amateur band receiver, and it's
counterpart, the
HQ-180 is a general coverage shortwave receiver.

dxAce
Michigan
USA