Old October 22nd 04, 05:40 AM
-exray

My PSU story goes like this...Mine got zapped during a storm (yes, right
thru an APC UPS). I found a bad diode and a resistor that had cooked
over the years. Didn't fix.
Went to the local computer dealer and paid $29 for a new "500 watt"
unit. The damn thing was so light compared to the older 200 watter
you'd almost swear it was an empty box!
Now you can't listen to a radio anywhere in the house cuz this piece of
cheap chinese crap radiates so much rf hash. I'd rather fix the old one
but getting the machine back running was the goal at the time.
Oh, and the mounting screws didn't match up either.
Buyer beware.

-Bill M

MaryAnne Olsen wrote:
My wife's computer with a 200 watt ATX power supply went south. Cost to
replace the ps was over $60 just for the unit. Reason was that it fitted
into a small case. I got a new ATX case with a 350 watt power supply for
$50. Had to remove all the stuff from the old computer case and put them
into the new case but she now has more power capacity with better cooling.
Bill N3TVU
" wrote in message

OCEANRADIO wrote:

If I ask a
computer guy (of which there are many) the answer would be: buy a new
computer. That's why I'm posting the question here.

Nope, we'll tell you the smart thing to do: buy a new power supply. If

you

can't find an ATX supply for $20, then you probably shouldn't be playing
with electricity anyway. Why not just tell your buddy who sold it to you
that it was DOA and he owes you a new PS?