Old October 2nd 05, 07:05 AM
D Peter Maus

Default WW2 Radio Compass

SR wrote:
Is it possible to have a radio that when the signal comes in, it can
tell you which dirrection it's from?????????????????????????????????

Yes. VOR does that.

SR!

From: SR
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:19:31 -0400
Subject: WW2 Radio Compass

As you know I am mad about radios, WW2 airplanes, tanks & subs.

I was thinking about getting a compass so that I could better find my
possition at home. So I did a search on Ebay on Compass. I then came
accoss something that is called a Radio Compass.
EBAY Item number: 6565758752

My guess it that the gauge is telling the pilot his dirrection in the
sky. But why is it called a radio compass?

Is the device putting out a signal? And is the signal bouncing back?

73 SR!

No, it's a radio receiver with a directional antenna. The display
shows the
compass bearing to the radio station being received. There used to be
portable radios, usually the "all band" variety, that had built-in radio
direction finders (RDF's). Heathkit even had one, though I don't
recall the
model number.

Greg