Old October 3rd 05, 05:25 AM
Michael Black

Default WW2 Radio Compass

"Brad" (bradvk2qq AT w6ir.com) writes:

Since the newsgroup is r.r.shortwave, then DF'ing shortwave seems to me to
be the topic. Here is another method worth trying, particularly because of
it's compact size. http://www.qsl.net/dj3tz/loop1.html

And a significant point is that a "radio compass" was so simple, because
it was at a time when applications for radio was relatively small. The
more complicated systems came later, when things had built up and a
need for something better came along.

Direction finding has come to mean tracking down an unknown station, but
in the case of a Radio Compass the scheme is identical, using a directional
antenna and a basic receiver, but you pick a station you know the location
of, so when you point to it you know you are going the right direction
(unless you pick the wrong side of the null, and go 180 degrees in
the wrong direction, but there were ways of fixing that).

While there were beacon stations set up for Radio COmpass use, I gather
it was not uncommon to use existing broadcast stations for the purpose.

Were talking sixty to seventy years ago when they first started using
Radio Compasses.

Michael