Old October 3rd 05, 04:11 PM
Joel Rubin

Default USS Missouri and R-390A

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:22:11 -0500, wrote:

They should have taken whatever steps necessary to put the USS Missouri
on the Riverfront in St.Louis,Missouri,even if it meant disasembling
parts of that great Ship and then putting it back together again.
Raise your heads and hold em high!,Mighty Mo is passing by!
cuhulin

I visited the Missouri when it was moored in San Francisco. (I think
there were plans to put it there permanently, which might have been a
good tourist attraction - as if SF needs more tourist attractions -
but there were too many antis.)

Of course, most famously, it is where the Emperor of Japan signed the
surrender papers in 1945 ending WWII - Appamatox Court House with
rudders.

(At least the Hiroshima [first] atom bomb probably saved more Japanese
lives [noit to mention the Americans who would have been killed in an
invasion] than the number of people it killed although it was also a
warning to Stalin which, thanks to his spies, he didn't really need.)

Has the Missouri ever actually been to Missouri? Getting a battleship
a thousand or more miles up a river, even the mighty Mississippi
(without taking it apart) must be impossible.

Remember the nom de plume of Samuel Clemens. 12 feet deep (Mark Twain)
was a good depth if you were piloting a riverboat on the Mississippi
in the middle of the 19th century.