Old October 26th 04, 02:26 PM
-exray

OH YEAH wrote:

WHAT? It appears you're quoting ME in your replies. This thread started with
someone talking about e-mails "appearing" to be from E-Bay - being received.
Others responded with how to perhaps deal with it. I jumped in to say that
if one gets a suspicious e-mail THOUGHT to be from E-Bay, they send it to
..... Someone suggested that - that doesn't work, that a blank
e-mail would get the same reply. I proved that wrong and posted the result
of doing just that. I offered others to try it for themselves.

Whoa, I did repeat said test and yes they have changed the format. As
Syl said, now it apparently only accepts forwarded mail. Well, I
blanked out a forward message and sent it Sunday afternoon. I got the
initial canned response immediately and the canned "answer" came thru
yesterday evening.

Guess what. They said it wasn't from them. Go figure.

I wonder if anybody has received one that said is WAS FROM EBAY? I
don't think so. The point I was trying to disprove was your assertion
that they will inspect these requests and inform you of the results as
if some of these emails were valid. In a way they do just that but I
don't think there's as much inspection going on as simply hitting the
canned "its not us" button.

Don't get me wrong, I have no gripe with ebay and have a combined
feedback rating of 800 or so. By suggesting that some of these emails
merit inspection might lead one to think that some requests for acct
info are legit which is simply not the case.

-BillM