Old October 6th 05, 05:09 AM
clifto

Default OT Score One For The Tree Huggers

Carter-K8VT wrote:
clifto wrote:
Carter-K8VT wrote:
...and do you think they would re-plant "millions of trees" if they
weren't forced to by the "eco-nazi" laws you love to hate?

Yes. Unlike you, they think a few years ahead and realize that planting
trees now makes trees to harvest years from now.

Yes, but you miss the point. Do they "think a few years ahead" because
they *want* to or because the laws say they *have? to? I contend the
latter, because before the laws were in place, they would clearcut and
then just walk away...

I contend the former, because they will want to be in business ten years
from now. Logging equipment and debarkers and kilns and other lumber-
producing equipment doesn't come cheap, and they can either depreciate
it over a long lifetime at low cost to the lumber consumer or try to
charge a gazillion shekels per board foot to pay for it all.

Check the sites of some of the paper makers. They brag about their
reforestation efforts. Even if their labors are crassly commercial,
they're putting back new trees to replace the trees they take, in
spades.