Old October 30th 04, 10:24 PM
Yodar

patgkz wrote:
Not totally unrelated but interesting:

I worked with a guy who went to DeVry in Chicago and worked part-time,
nights for Allied's Knight-Kit division as a repair tech. He once told me
the story of a Knight AM-FM tuner that was returned from the builder as
non-working.

The tuner had a newfangled Printed Circuit board (this was in the 1950's).
Instructions told the builder to completely fill the PC board hole around
each inserted component and wire. My friend found a shorted IF transformer
on the board and removed it. Thinking the IF can was quite unusually heavy,
he removed the aluminum cover to find the entire interior of the transfomrer
filled with solder! He then checked the remaining cans on the board....you
guessed it, all the same.

He also described a scandal at Knight kit where inside warehouse employees
were filling the dumpster with boxed kits during the day and then retrieving
them at night.
There was supposedly a big investigation and many firings, that was in the
late 50's.

My friend just recently passed away, no more stories, but it was interesting
hearing directly from an old Allied employee....bet there's not that many
around now.

Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message

Saw a post asking about this and I recall a James Knight company -- maybe
making crystals.
Did Allied buy them and then adopt the Knight name to their kits ????

Just a guess
--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

great fondness for knight kits as a "tinkley park" ill HS student

Back Then The precursor to the flea-market was (in CHICAGO) MAXWELL
STREET....a mess of dreck of that type could always be found in
somebodys stall...As kid,I picked up a NIB Hammond Organ 12"
speaker...weighed a TON ! figgerred the magnet must be a beast as it was
enclosed in a can as big as a 16" softball...

Imagine my chagrin when I couldnt get any sound out of it and looked at
a HAMMOND organ schematic and found they used the speaker as a choke in
the plate circuit of the output stage...a damn electromagnet-speaker !

yodar