Old October 12th 05, 04:25 PM
hinkeydo

Default Shipping: UPS Ground vs. FedEx Ground

-=H=- wrote:
Hi all,

I shipped two boxes of amateur radio equipment yesterday from
Lewisville, Texas to Cooper City, Florida. As always, I used
FedEx Ground. Here's why:

Two packages:
(1) weight 33.60 lbs, size 24 x 21 x 16 inches, insured $900
(2) weight 13.95 lbs, size 22 x 22 x 14 inches, insured $100

FedEx Ground, delivery in 3 business days, cost $38.77
UPS Ground, delivery in 4-5 business days, cost $56.07

UPS would have charged $17.30 more than FedEx (that's almost
45 percent) and would have taken 1-2 days longer to arrive.
To me, $17.30 is not a trivial amount of money.

Something to think about next time you're shipping packages!

73,
Dean K5DH

I would have to agree that my luck with UPS has been less than
satisfactory. but with fedex my stuff gets there a lot quicker and
costs less money. i have even sent msr 2000 repeaters across country
with fedex for only about 48 bucks, but if i sent them with ups, they
would be destroyed in no time. i have a friend that works at the local
ups and he tells me that the sure fire way to have something destroyed
is to mark it as fragile or handle with care. seems the guys in the
warehouse love to kick the hell out of boxes like that.