Old October 16th 05, 03:01 AM
Dean Norris

Default Morse is...

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:52:52 GMT, "Wayne P. Muckleroy"
wrote:

antiquated. It was developed during a time when it was considered a miracle
that we could string wire sets for thousands of miles and (slowly)
communicate with a series of "clicks." Then the miracle of spark generators
were invented and we were really advanced because we could lose the wire
sets and communicate across the big pond.

I tend to be practical when it comes to technology. I realize the importance
of amateur radio or else I would not be spending my time in here. However,
if I need to order a pizza on my way home from work, I don't pull out my HT
and patch into the local pizzeria. I use my cell phone of course.

But, during a time of power failure or disastrous periods, obviously, the
cell will not function. So then, I would use a portable method of
communication. This does not mean I would automatically pull out my key and
start sending Morse. Most likely, I would attempt verbal contact via an HF
mode. If bandwidth is limited, I'm sure I could find other modes to use that
are almost as efficient as Morse. If all else fails, I could hook up my
lap-top, and let it do all the work--sending and receiving Morse. If on the
off chance my lap-top is dead, I could resort to manual Morse at 5 wpm. In
which case, I still don't need the stupid Morse learning software to get me
to 20, 40, 60 wpm.

I have much more important things to do with my time than practice this dead
language.

Wayne-
(KC8UIO)

Well, la-de-dah! That's norris code for who gives a ****. I happen
to enjoy code. You do your thing, I'll do mine.