Old October 16th 05, 08:58 PM
Ralph Mowery

Default Doublet Antenna question

"Ed" wrote in message
. 93.175...

Currently I have a coax fed trapped 75/40M dipole up between two
trees. The spacing of the trees (a bit over 110 feet) allows this
antenna with no extra length allowed, except for minimal support line and
insulator length.

I plan on replacing this dipole with 450 ohm ladder line feed doublet
so I can operate on more than just 75/40M, however a full 1/4 wave length
for 75 would be too long to fit between these trees.

My QUESTION(s): How effective would a balanced fed dipole of about
100 feet length be on 75M ? Should it tune OK with a tuner such as the
new MFJ balanced tuner? Or, if I were to put either the old 40M traps,
or wind coils for the new dipole to shorten 75M resonance, would it then
tune OK on all bands from 75M down with balanced feed?

Ed K7AAT

If you are not satisified with the antenna you have then I would put up
about 130 feet of wire and feed it in the middle with the balanced feed. If
you can not get up the full 130 feet or so of wire, put it all up and let
the ends hang down. That is the support ropes could be attached 10 to 15
feet from each end and then you let whatever is left over hang down. Just
don't let the ends reach close enough to the ground where someone could
reach them. Shock and RF burns.

If you go to the 100 feet and feed it with open wire , you are trying to
make the antenna into a g5rv if you use whatever length of feedline the g5rv
calls for. Not really that good of an antenna for working all bands.