Old October 16th 05, 06:24 PM
Dave Heil

Default BTW Stevie were watch the news lately about NASA

From: Dave Heil on Thurs, Oct 13 2005 8:19 am

wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

Movies and novels, etc often take artistic license with the facts in order
to produce more impact. That is true of both dramas and comedies. So any
one who relies on such items for their history is going to be using a far
amount of misinformation. Even the news media takes artistic license by the
selection of what facts and speculation to report since they are going for
ratings.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee, excellent, excellent post.

That must be why some in this group constantly quote british comedy as
if it were somehow relevant to matters at hand. They get their history
from Monty Python. Telling is their admiration for the contribution(s)
that the ARS made in WWII. Quitepuzzling, since the ARS was shut down
by the US government at the time.

Many radio amateurs made their war contributions as radio operators.

As did all the PCTAs in here, valiantly fighting the brave
fight with a morse key in each holster.

Are you out of your ever-lovin' mind or is this just another insult fest
from the sidelines of amateur radio?

It would be fun to read of their stories, tales of heroism,
etc., while working for the OSS deep behind the lines and
sending intel back to Hq. I can compare them to those I
heard back in the 1950s from Signalmen who were actually
there! :-)

That's your idea of fun, is it? All of us who post here are old enough
to have known people involved in WWII radio. Many of us have worked
with those involved.

Many became electronics and radio instructors.

Right...and how MANY is "many?" More than five?

Were you under the impression that someone invited you to administer a quiz?

Was the MIT Radiation Lab built up on a base of amateurs?

I didn't mention anything about the MIT Radiation Lab. How about doing
a massive cut and paste and rambling on about it for paragraph after
paragraph?

Were there NO electronics professionals anywhere in the U.S.
electronics industry at that time?

I know this may surprise you: It was and is very possible to be a radio
amateur and a professional in communications at the same time. It is
also quite easy to have a working knowledge of radio communications and
to be trained in a professional specialty in short order.

What do you think Bell Labs in NJ had? A little shack
just working on telephones?

I didn't write anything about Bell Labs. I happen to have known a
number of radio amateurs who worked at Bell Labs over the years. One
who comes to mind is the late Harry Habig K8ANV, inventor of the Delta
Loop antenna.

What about the second-highest priority of manufacture in
World War 2, right behind the Manhattan Project? That was
quartz crystal unit manufacture...a million a month in the
last three years of WW2.

I knew a number of those folks too. One manufacturer was Tedford Labs
in Cincinnati. Bob Tedford was a radio amateur.

Many were involved in radio design and manufacture.

Riiiight...all hams knew everything there was to know about
radar, microwaves, sonobuoys, VHF and UHF radio relay, and
primitive television used in the first guided bombs?

All hams? I wrote nothing about all hams knowing everything.

Locate Lewyt Vacuum Cleaner Comapny and find out their
history...they built lots of BIG HF transmitters during
WW2! Really. BC-339s with 1 KW RF out in HF and BC-340s
with 10 KW RF out in HF. Said so on lots of nameplates.

Great, Leonard. Lionel built J-38 manual keys and J-36 bugs. What of
it? Did those name plates really read "Lewyt Vacuum Cleaner Company"?

Many became involved with Civil Defense
and WERS (War Emergency Radio Service).

Again, how MANY is "many?"

....far more than a few.

Were there any AIR ATTACKS on the
United States then?

Those CD folks did a good job, huh?

[exactly one case of a Japanese
submarine firing a couple rounds on California, hitting very
little] [Hawaii wasn't a state back then, remember]

There was an air attack from a Japanese submarine? Wowsers!

My father-in-law was an "air raid warden" in his neighborhood
some 900+ miles inland from the east coast, about 2000 miles
inland from the west coast. About all that was accomplished
with those air raid drills was conservation of electricity
by turning off all non-essential lights.

If you understood that the lights were turned off to conserve
electricity, you didn't get it.

Tell us all about CD and WERS, old timer. I'm sure the kids
in here will glory in your stories. I was a kid myself back
then and thought it real exciting to hear all those stories
of military life.

I guess it had to tide you over until you get some real rear area
exploits of your own.

There is a large amount of
documentation of the efforts of radio amateurs during the Second World
War. Have you read any of it?

Lots and lots of it available from the ARRL.

That's one source. As a matter of fact, the League printed excerpts
from a book written by a ham, Lt. Iliff Richardson, who was very active
with the resistance in the Philippines. "An American Guerrilla In The
Philippines" was later made into a movie starring Tyrone Power.

Too bad they don't
mention all the NON-amateur contributions in radio...

Why would those stories appear in a magazine which carried the words,
"Devoted Entirely to Amateur Radio"? Are there no other magazines or books?

...or even
that the major communications mode of the U.S. military back in
WW2 was by TTY, not morse code...as it continued into the post-
War Two period. Western Electric Company made lots and lots of
NON-morse communications equipment...they of the Bell conglomerate
and not at all being amateur about what they did.

All very interesting, Leonard. Radio amateurs who served in the war
were not all pounding brass. Why does morse code have to enter
everything you write about amateur radio?

But...the ARRL is the "only true" source of "radio history" isn't
it?

It is? Nobody is stating that except you.

Always "telling the truth"...

I've found no deliberate falsehoods inserted into any of the stories of
the WWII items published by the League. Have you?

...and omitting nothing, right?

I don't think the ARRL felt bound to publish articles which had no ties
to amateur radio. Do you feel that such stories should have been
published in an amateur radio magazine? Do you know of any deliberate
omissions of material from the stories?

Tell us your stories, old timer. They are always such a treat
on how you saved the country for democracy during WW2.

Since I wasn't around until 3 1/2 years after the war ended, it'd be
impossible for me to have participated. How about you? Did you lie
about your age?

Then you can insert the "PCTA truth" of how "all" radio ops
"must know morse code" in order to be "good radio ops" and how
anyone that doesn't love, honor, cherish and obey the morse
creed is "hating all hams" of today. [which is what it will all
boil down to...as usual]

If you'd like to insert it, by all means, bend over and do so.

Have Jimmie Noserve tell us all about Washington Army Radio
[WAR callsign] at Fort Detrick and how ACAN operated. He will
know because he thinks he was THERE or something.

Well, Lennie, why don't you tell us all about it? After all, you have
the same amount of experience at WAR that Jim has.

Have Dudly
tell us about the Montezuma halls and the beaches of Tripoli
as he valiantly fought side by side with other ham heroes in
the African campaign of '43. Wonderful stories and tales!

Well, Foghorn, why don't you tell us all about it? After all, you have
the same experience as Steve in fighting in the African campaign of '43
and I'm sure that you know much more about the Marines--because you were
in the Army.

Above all else, stress that anyone who doesn't like/love
morsemanship of 60 years ago now HATES ALL HAMS and "dishonors"
them ALL by not parroting the holy ham history output of ARRL
about World War Two.

I've never written anything about "anyone" who doesn't like morse code.
I have written about you.

Dave K8MN