Old October 17th 05, 03:44 AM
Ed

Default Doublet Antenna question

Ed wrote:
My QUESTION(s): How effective would a balanced fed dipole of

about
100 feet length be on 75M ?

Make it 102 ft. and you will have the G5RV length about which
virtually everything in the world is known. It works so well
on 75m that you should not be able to notice the difference.
How easy/hard it is to match will depend upon the feedline
length.

Thank you, Cecil. Very few here responded to my questions the way I
had hoped, although there was some very good info in those responces.

I had wondered what the effect of inductance in the dipole legs would
have on a balanced fed antenna. It now appears that to get decent
results on 75M I don't need to do that, anyway.

I had not thought much about adding dropping wires to the ends of my
dipole legs, as one fellow suggested, because the trees are so conical
shaped that their lower branches would likely be in the way of the
vertical wires coming down off the ends.

I guess I need to research the G5RV antenna. Someone else here
posted a nice URL to a site on it and I will be perusing it more.

Cecil, I definitely can make my dipole 102 feet accross the top. I
am guesstimating that I will need approximately 35 or 40 feet of feedline
from the shack to the feedpoint. Do you see any issues with that?

Ed K7AAT