Old October 17th 05, 09:36 PM
Steve Nosko

Default Dumb Antenna Questions

"bob/wa2eaw" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
...is the insulation an impediment to the functioning of the
antenna on HF? Thanks for being patient with a newbie.
Rockinghorse Winner KI6AZS

The only thng that can alter the power output and freq. of the
insulated wire is; if water gets between the insulation and the wire.
As in rain water. Other wise "goforitQRP is great fun!!!
73 de Bob,WA2EAW...HW8 enthusiast with solar panals.

Bob,
Hmmm. I don't think this is a worry either. I have had no protection (nor
perceive a need) for this where the insulation ends at the feed point nor at
the ends that are just cut (which wrap back on the antenna for about 3 feet
for adjusting length. It is stranded wire with lots of opportunity for
water egress. The insulation is very brittle after 6 years in the UV &
other outdoor environment. I don't see what the problem mechanism could
be; a bare wire gets really wet.
What are you thinking?

As a side note, and unrelated situation, aircraft wiring can burst into
flames with help from water (Believe it or not) and insulation cracks, but
in bundles of wire and where there is significant 400 cycle power
distribution energy _between_ wires in a tight cabling bundle, not a single
hanging wire.

73, Steve, K,9'D;C.I