Old October 17th 05, 11:37 PM
Falky foo

Default Morse is...

I don't know dude.. use your imagination. Do I have to write a
post-apocalyptic story for you? Ok, let's say that a big ass asteroid hit
the earth and blew up a lot of ****, wiped out all the telecommunications
stuff and there were only pockets of people left, scattered all over. You
rip a battery out of a car and power up your HF rig, hoist up a simple
antenna and start beaming **** as far out as you can. Maybe the atmosphere
is so ****ed by the crap in the air that voice is totally garbled, or maybe
the only people are 10000 miles away and you can barely reach them with your
****ty antenna. Or maybe they don't even speak your language but can
understand some rudimentary morse stuff. Who knows?

I'm obviously not saying this situation is at all likely, but it and others
are certainly possible. Would I spend my time learning code for this
possibility? No, but I can understand that some people might.

"an old friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:
I never get an answer to just what good Morse code would be in this
doomday world.

1) It keeps some of us busy, doing our favorite thing

fiddling while rome burn nero

2) It makes it possible for some people to communicate with others, even
when they don't have the motor skills to do so in the first place

3) It allows you to reach longer than any other form of HF communication

plain flase or at best incomplete

Morse encoded CW does not allowed a greater range than say Heilshrieber
would

4) It will come in handy it *that* ever happens

how?

still waiting for an answer to the question, asked many times and many
ways I'll try another

how will Morse be able to deliver anything of objective value if the
world is so far gone that morse encoded cw was ALL there was

and so on

--
73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com