Old November 8th 04, 03:26 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "Brian Hill"
writes:

Thought you guys might want to see my latest radio restoration. Its a rare
1935 Tobe Deutschmann Browning 35 Shoertwave receiver. It came in either
kit or factory assembled.

That's a beautiful set! Nice job! I like radios of that vintage too.
Does it use the Type 35 tube, the first screen-grid (tetrode) with variable-mu,
for AGC control? That seems like a logical place for the "35" to come from.

Also, how does the dial pointer work? The ad shows a simple external wire
pointer in front, but there's none on your set. Is it just still missing, or
is there a lighted shadow pointer behind the dial? Some sets of that era used
this very sexy arrangement -- I had a Freshman-Belmont with separate AMBC and
SW tuner chassis that each used that type of dial pointer.

There were some discussions a few years ago about who made the first
band-switching RX (no darned plug-in coils). Yours must be a contender for the
title.

Say, how about some chassis shots? Pant, pant ...
73 es tnx for the photos -- Mike K. AA1UK

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.