Old October 18th 05, 05:28 PM
Jim Leder

Default Feedpoint of a Half Square

For years I've always fed my 30 meter Half Square at a top corner, and it's
done a reasonable job in my opinion. Recently I've discovered 2 Eznec files,
one for a Half Square and another for it's big brother, a Bobtail Curtain.
Both show the feedpoint down just a little bit on the driven element
vertical, and NOT dead on the corner. I've studied both Eznec model outputs
(corner feed and not corner feed) and indeed the different feedpoint does
show a little more gain, about 1.5 DB without altering the antenna impedance
much. The one I modeled for 30 has the feedpoint down about 2 inches from
the corner. Is what I am seeing accurate? Or, is this just another Eznec
anomaly? I realize that 1.5 DB isn't too much to worry about, but if I
should make another one, maybe I should alter the feedpoint. Opinions?
Thanks.