Old October 19th 05, 02:40 AM
Martin McCormick

Default Digging for Scanners on the Internet

In article ,
Al Klein wrote:

That's a Winamp feed. There are a number of reasons to use it, among
them free alpha text streaming. (The listener can see what the
scanner has stopped on.)

If you're interested in Long Island, NY, try
http://suffolkscanner.redirectme.net:8000/stream
I don't know whether any software you use will be able to play it, but
the Windows Media Player link on my site
(http://www.webdingers.com/scanner.html) handles it.

It works like a charm. Sounds like a Motorola Smartnet
system. Here's what I did:

#! /bin/sh
mpg123 http://suffolkscanner.redirectme.net:8000/stream

Those of you who are UNIX devotees will see that's a shell
script, all be it a very simple one. I call it longisland so all I
need to do is type

longisland

at the shell prompt and I am hearing it. Many thanks.
--

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Information Technology Division Network Operations Group