Old October 19th 05, 03:54 AM
John Kasupski

Default What is the best mobile scanner for CB use?

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:06:35 GMT, "Ken" wrote:

I think alot of the new stuff is junk, the older radios were made much
better.
Technology has improved, but quality sucks.

Some of this is hard to get around from a technical standpoint,
though. Today's receivers cover such a wide portion of the spectrum,
there's no way they can be built with the same filtering that radios
had twenty years ago. The "tight front end" of receivers from circa
1975 would render todays receivers stone deaf across half their
receiving range. Hence the receivers today are more susceptible to
intermod, image reception, and problems like that, that the rigs 25
years ago didn't have because that stuff was filtered out, and the
radios then concentrated on a smaller slice of spectrum.

In other words, it's a trade-off. If you want your radio to receive
everything from DC to daylight, then you're going to have to put up
with some unwanted signals sometimes.

The uniden BCT8 is a good one. I have the older BCT7 in my truck &
really enjoy it. I use my RS Pro95 for trunking.

I have a PRO-94 and the BCT8 that are trunking scanners. I won't get
into the dozen or so older ones I still have and use (including one
rockbound desktop model), but my favorite is still the PRO-2045. The
only reason I bought the PRO-94 and then the BCT8 is that there are a
couple of agencies locally using trunked systems now. The BCT-8 is in
my van; I carry the PRO-94 at work.

John Kasupski, Tonawanda, New York
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), SWL/Scanner Monitoring (KNY2VS)
zIRC #monitor Admin