Old October 20th 05, 09:56 PM

Default Messed-Up Radials Can Generate Spurious Emissions

Cleaning up the messed-up
radials ended the appearance of the NSS signals in the AM broadcast
band, thus
concluding an interesting journey. .........................

I think a lot of the MW garbage I receive on 160m, etc, is
generated much the same way. I've even seen people say
that semi corroded stranded copper wire, even insulated
can cause problems like that. And...I've been seeing stronger
and stronger MW energy here every year it seems... I'm starting
to wonder if the standed wire theory may not be too far fetched,
as most all my wire is stranded, and most is getting some age
on it. I also seen to notice even the water heater or pipes seem
to generate spurious MW energy.. Been driving me crazy the last
few years, and seems to be slowly getting worse.
Not to mention all the other sources of trouble like fences, guy
wires, bad connections, etc.
I don't doubt bad radials could cause that for a minute...I've seen
things like that around here in mildew city from all kinds of bad
connections.. Once had a bad "rf in the shack" problem...Turned
out to be nothing more than corroded/rusted balun hardware at
the antenna feedpoint. Cleaned that up, bingo, all gone. MK