Old October 21st 05, 05:53 AM

Default Messed-Up Radials Can Generate Spurious Emissions

Walter Maxwell writes:
Messed Up Ground Radials Can Generate Spurious Signals
....[snip]....

So can a weak alligator clip on a simple homebrew antenna tuner!

Several years ago I was operating CW while my wife was using a "glass
TTY" to a remote computer (that shows how long ago this was), when a
policeman (who was NOT a ham) knocked on our door and said I was causing
lots of RFI and TVI. After thinking "I'm on CW; who would have been
able to identify me?", I called a nearby ham. Yep, he said I was inter-
ferring on EVERY frequency he could check (AM, FM, TV, ham, etc.!), and
since he couldn't phone me, he had called the police.

So I got back on the air and, with his help, started wiggling everything
from the transmitter output toward the antenna. The culprit was a rather
weak alligator clip in my homebrew antenna tuner, and that poor joint
was producing harmonics from DC to daylight!

--Myron, W0PBV.
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge