Old October 21st 05, 03:14 PM
K7JEB

Default Messed-Up Radials Can Generate Spurious Emissions

Hi Walt,

Enjoyed reading the story. Thanks!

I live about 1/2 mile from a 50 kW broadcast station
on 1360 kHz here in West Phoenix/Glendale and am
within 5 miles of another half-dozen running 5 - 20 kW.
Recently I became quite aware of a bad splice in the
wires on my 80/40-meter dipole through the appearance
of mixing products from the broadcasters all up and
down both bands. Of course, I also saw the problem
on transmit, having one value of SWR at 5 watts and an
entirely different one at 500 watts. I hate to think
of how many "mystery signals" I was generating in the
process of getting that bit of test data! I keep telling
people I am going to cut that bad splice out and patent
it. How many mixer diodes do you know about that can
handle half a kilowatt.

73,
Jim, K7JEB